October 04, 2010

Hiate sensei - Atsugi Doin

Hiate sensei - howa

Continuing my recent visit to Japan, I had the wonderful experience of visiting my teacher Hiate sensei (Seihanshi, 7th dan, WSKO & Hombu Instructor) at Atsugi Doin in Nurumizu.

I first met Hiate sensei at Tokai University in June 1985 and he has been my teacher ever since. In addition to his warm and friendly spirit, his technique is simply amazing.

Technical demonstration to the children's group

The class, which included the children's section, started with kihon, goho applications (uchi age zuki, uchi age geri, jun zuki randori), chinkon-gyo, howa and juho applications (uwa uke nage, oshi uke nage).



Hiate sensei's technical demonstrations were dramatic, effective and powerful. In the case of nage waza, Hiate sensei would completely capture the attacker's balance early in each technique making the final throw both effortless and spectacular!

Nage!

One unexpected surprise was the appearance of Kobayashi sensei (Seihanshi, 7th dan) - another of the Atsugi area Doin-cho. Kobayashi sensei is well known for his internal approach to technique and it was fascinating to experience his interpretations of several common techniques.

Kobayashi sensei

Hiate sensei and his family hosted me during the final part of my stay in Japan. The enormous hospitality they extended was very much appreciated, especially since they all have busy schedules. A few examples: banquet dinner at one of Kanagawa's top fish restaurants, touring temples in Kamakura and ferrying me and all my stuff to Narita.

Thanking Hiate sensei and the Atsugi kenshi (thanks to Yoshioka kenshi for translation)

Sensei - iro iro domo arigato gozaimashita!

Gassho